When two or more vectors are added, the following procedures can be applied to determine the resultant vector:
- Choose the orientation of the x-y coordinate system.
- Draw the vectors such that they start from the origin.
- All the vectors must be labelled and have appropriate lengths and directions.
- Determine the x and y components of all the vectors.
- Determine the resultant vector along the x-axis and along the y-axis.
- Apply Pythagoras theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector.
- Apply trigonometry to find the angle that the resultant vector make with x- or y-axis.