- An attractive force that is only dependent on the masses of the objects.
- Long range force which acts at a distance
- Can usually be neglected unless one of these masses is very large
- Exist between moving or stationary charges
- Can be an attractive or repulsive force
When atoms of one object get too close to the atoms of another object, there will be a contact force between them. The contact forces are actually manifestations(signs) of the electromagnetic force. E.g. When you press your hand against your desk, you feel the repulsion of the electrons in the atoms of your hand against the electrons in the atoms of the desk.
Nuclear Forces/ Strong Force
- Forces between protons and neutrons and other sub-nuclear particles when they are close together
- Holds the atomic nucleus together as it keeps the protons together in the nucleus, despite their mutual electromagnetic repulsion
- Responsible for radioactive decay and neutrino interactions
- Short range and very weak