If a body under the action of a net external force is allowed to rotate about a pivot, the body will tend to turn in the direction of the applied force.
Examples of turning effect of force:
- A person pushing a swing will make the swing rotate about its pivot.
- A worker applies a force to a spanner to rotate a nut.
- A person removes a bottle’s cork by pushing down the bottle opener’s lever.
- A force is applied to a door knob and the door swings open about its hinge.
- A driver can turn a steering wheel by applying a force on its rim.